NIHR ARC OxTV and Health Education England Clinical Internships
The Oxford and Thames Valley NIHR Applied Research Collaboration (ARC) aims to develop the research skills of health and social care professionals and researchers in Oxford and Thames valley area by:
- Supporting growth in applied health and care research
- Supporting career development across professions and disciplines
- Promoting equity of access to training
- Supporting the development of the next generation of applied health and care researchers.
Health Education England (HEE) and the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) have established an Integrated Clinical Academic (ICA) programme for non-medical healthcare and social care professionals. These internships will be run in the Oxford and Thames Valley region by the Oxford and Thames Valley ARC.
The internship award programme supports research capacity building in applied health and care research in the region. These awards are intended to introduce people working within health or care organisations to research with the aim of supporting them to become leading independent researchers in the future.
Internship awards fund up to a maximum of £20,000 to support individuals looking for an opportunity to experience the research process within an established team of leading health researchers - or to develop their research skills following completion of a PhD.
These awards are open to health and social care staff employed on a full or part-time basis, if all costs remain within the maximum funding envelope. Proposals should align with Oxford and Thames Valley ARC themes:
- Changing Behaviours for Better Health and Preventing Disease
- Helping Patients to Manage Their Own Conditions
- Mental Health across the Life Course
- Improving Health and Social Care
- Applied Digital Health
- Novel Methods to Aid and Evaluate Implementation
The ARC-OxTV undertakes applied research. Research projects are likely to involve work with patients or patient data, completing clinical studies, qualitative research or systematic reviews.
The awards are open to any professional working in the health or social care sector in Oxford and the Thames Valley region. To be eligible for one of these awards you will need to provide evidence that you have the following:
- Current registration to practice in the UK with the appropriate regulatory bodies
(as per the NIHR here: https://www.nihr.ac.uk/documents/heenihr-ica-programme-eligible-professions-and-regulators/12204)
- Hold a substantive full or part time contract with a health or social care organisation
- At least one year’s post-registration practice experience
- Support from your line manager to undertake the internship
- A keen interest in a research focused academic career
- Mentorship from a named research supervisor (identified by you)
- The opportunity to develop links with an existing research theme (identified by you)
- Ability to start the programme by October 2021, and complete it on time (within 12 months).
Please note: Individuals already in receipt of a research grant/fellowship from elsewhere are not eligible for this award.
Successful applicants can use the award to cover costs including salary backfill, incidental costs, research and clinical supervision, and training costs. Suggestions on how the budget can be spent are presented below;
1. Salary backfill - it is recognised that this may form the main budget expenditure. The most appropriate backfill arrangements should be decided by you and your team/line manager.
2. Training – It is essential to have supervision throughout the award. Ideally this support should be from a partner organisation within the Oxford and Thames Valley ARC. Some training would be expected, though would not normally exceed 20% of the total budget. A training plan should be submitted with your application.
If you would like advice or support with your application, or directing to appropriate members of the ARC-OxTV contact Katherine.firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit an application and completed checklist (see below) and all corresponding documentation to: email@example.com by 5:00 pm on 18th June 2021.
Key dates: Closing date for applications:
Friday 18th June 2021 (5pm)
Friday 2nd July 2021
September 2021 onwards.