MA (Oxon), MB BChir, MD (Cantab), FRCP, FRCPEdin, FRCPsych, FACLP
Professor of Psychological Medicine
- Fellow of Saint Cross College, Oxford.
- Honorary Consultant in Psychological Medicine and Trust Lead in Psychological Medicine at Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and advisor to Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust.
- Honorary Professor, University of Edinburgh.
- NIHR Senior Investigator
- President, American Academy of Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry
- Vice-President, European Association of Psychosomatic Medicine
Psychiatric aspects of medical illness and treatment ; multi-morbidity; clinical trials
The aims of my group's research are to better understand the psychiatry and psychology of medical illnesses and their treatments, to develop novel interventions that aim to improve patient outcomes and to evaluate these in rigorous clinical trials.
Our current projects address multimorbidity. We study depression in people with medical conditions such as cancer and how best to manage complex multi-morbidity in elderly medical inpatients (the HOME study).
In my clinical role, I am the Trust Lead for Psychological Medicine (the psychiatric and psychological care of the medically ill) for Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.
In addition, I serve as President of the Academy of Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry (ACLP) which is based in the USA and as a Vice-President of the European Association of Psychosomatic Medicine (EAPM).
I am an investigator in both Oxford NIHR Biomedical Research Centres (BRCs) and the Oxford NIHR ARC.