MA (Oxon), MB BChir, MD (Cantab), FRCP, FRCPEdin, FRCPsych, FACLP
Professor of Psychological Medicine
- Fellow of Saint Cross College, Oxford.
- Honorary Consultant in Psychological Medicine
- Trust Lead in Psychological Medicine at Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and advisor to Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust.
- Honorary Professor, University of Edinburgh.
- Past-President, American Academy of Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry
- Vice-President, European Association of Psychosomatic Medicine
Psychiatric aspects of medical illness and treatment ; multi-morbidity; clinical trials
The aims of my group's research are to better understand the psychiatry and psychology of medical illnesses with the ultimate aim of achieving a unified perspective on illness, that transcends the 'physical' versus 'mental' dichotomy.
We develop novel interventions that aim to improve patient outcomes and evaluate these in rigorous clinical trials.
Specific areas of interest include the management of poorly understood symptoms and illnesses
Our main current focus is multimorbidity. We study depression in people with medical conditions such as cancer and how best to manage complex multi-morbidity in elderly medical inpatients (the HOME study).
In my clinical role, I am the Trust Lead for Psychological Medicine (the psychiatric and psychological care of the medically ill) for Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.
I am active in education in the area as Past-President of the Academy of Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry (ACLP) which based in the USA and Vice-President of the European Association of Psychosomatic Medicine (EAPM).
I am an investigator in both Oxford NIHR Biomedical Research Centres (BRCs) and the Oxford NIHR ARC.
Integrated care to address child and adolescent health in the 21st century: a clinical review
FAZEL M. et al, (2021), JCPP Advances
Walker J. et al, (2021), Gen Hosp Psychiatry, 72, 131 - 140