Senior Research Fellowships
Thursday, 25 March 2021, 12am to 5pm
The Senior Fellows Award scheme recognises and supports individuals with the potential and trajectory to become future leaders in translational research. The Senior Fellows receive an award of £10,000 a year for two years that can be used flexibly to facilitate their translational research programme and career development
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: 25 MARCH 2021
The Oxford BRC, the Oxford Health BRC and the ARC Oxford & Thames Valley (ARC OxTV) aim to attract, recognise, and develop outstanding researchers. The opportunities for attracting and recognising mid-career investigators who are critical to the work and success of translational research in Oxford are limited. As a step towards addressing this, the Oxford NIHR Senior Research Fellowship scheme will recognise and support individuals with the potential and trajectory to become future leaders in translational research.
NIHR Senior Research Fellows will be selected by an expert panel. The Fellows will receive an award of £15,000 for 18 months that may be used flexibly to facilitate their translational research programme and career development. They will participate in a career development programme including two masterclasses a year, as well providing a short progress report annually. The NIHR Senior Research Fellowship programme is intended to support suitably experienced individuals to advance an independent research area which will enhance NIHR research in Oxford and strengthen future funding applications.
Some examples of how the funding may be used include:
- travel costs for research activities;
- conference costs;
- personal career development and leadership training;
- consumables and minor items of equipment (not capital equipment);
- bridging funds to support research staff appointments whilst awaiting new research income.
Applicants should be engaged in translational research which benefits patients or improves the healthcare system, brings health economics benefits, and contributes positively to society. Candidates from a wide range of disciplines are welcome to apply (for example from Medical Sciences, Computer Sciences, Maths Physical and Life Sciences, Engineering etc.). One fellowship will be awarded to an ARC OxTV researcher, two to Oxford Health BRC researchers and four to Oxford BRC researchers.
- Applicants must hold a PhD or MD and have 4 to 10 years postdoctoral experience;
- Employed by Oxford University, Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Oxford Health BRC or ARC OxTV with a contract until at least the end of November 2022;
- Professional achievement, in particular evidence of leadership, or leadership potential in translational research;
- High potential impact of the research on improvements in healthcare and public health;
- High quality and volume of excellent research (career breaks will be taken into account);
- Evidence of independence or starting to establish independence as a researcher including establishing collaborations and building research capacity;
- NIHR Senior Investigators, or those who have previously held NIHR Senior Investigators Awards, are not eligible to apply for Senior Research Fellowships;
- BRC Theme Leaders/co-leads, Heads of University Departments, OUH Divisional Directors, Associate Heads of OUH Divisions and BRC Steering Committee members are not eligible to apply.